Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh, hai! I Broked the Guvermint (or Why I Have A Coalition-Led Headache)

Friends and readers, I usually keep my scant political opinions to myself. Today I feel inclined to use this as a venting space else my throbbing head might explode. I am tired of Coalition rhetoric. I am tired of Harper's rhetoric. I am tired of hearing the cheers, "Ding Dong, the wicked PM is dead!" I am tired of cries of, "This is a threat to democracy." And so, these are the two issues I will address: the state of the PM and democracy in general.

A "no confidence" vote is not undemocratic. Think of it as a panic button that is there to be pushed should the need arise. The need did arise when Stephen Harper strongly hinted he wanted to cut funding to the Opposition. Why would the Opposition agree and sign away their funding? They wouldn't. The option to have this vote is necessary so we don't end up with a dictatorship. However, that vote has yet to happen because Harper may prorogue the government. This means the legislature will be shut down and Harper starts another campaign smear against the Coalition. Right now Stephen Harper is still the PM, but very well could be the PM in name only. The House does not have confidence in his ability to lead.

Right now our Government is broken. It cannot lead. The Coalition cannot lead. NO ONE can lead right now. Canada is waiting for Gov.Gen. Michaelle Jean to make a decision - ask the Coalition to form a government or call another election. And until the GG comes to this decision we wait with a broken Government and peoples' emotions boiling over. Whatever the outcome, we are headed for another election sooner rather than later. And when it happens I'll be voting. Until then I will watch the news, I will read articles and I will keep the rest of my political opinions to myself... and take Tylenol as needed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Post! I feel exactly the same way. I don't fear the American-style 2 party government like most. In fact, I encourage it.

I think until we unite some of the left we are going to continue to have a minority government that can't move under its own power. With 60% of the popular vote going left, we should be there already.