Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Top 12 Chocolates for Christmas

I've never met anyone who eats as much chocolate as I do. That sounds like a boast. I assure you it is not. However, I do eat a lot of it - milk, dark, bittersweet, semi-sweet and in a pinch I entertain white chocolate. I'm as picky over chocolate as some people are over wine or coffee. My training has been informal and is based entirely on my palate. I don't expect all people will agree with my selections. For example, you will never find those Lindt Lindor Truffles on any top list of mine. Their cocoa butter content is far too high for my liking. They melt on the tongue like little globs of chocolate-flavoured fat. I don't like Moritz Icy Cups either. Same reason. Yet there are numerous people who love these treats and are shocked to learn that I don't. Please don't start thinking I'm a chocolate snob - I'm really not. I follow Nigella Lawson's motto: "If it tastes good, eat it." So without further defending my chocolate preferences, my personal top 12. In no particular order:

* Pot of Gold Excellence. Please don't roll your eyes at me. The new Excellence collection contains soft caramels, nut creams and nut-chocolate combinations. Very smooth, creamy and sweet.

* Le Chocolat 9-piece hand-decorated chocolate collection. You can only get these at Shoppers Drug Mart. Beautiful to look at, lovely to eat. The only chocolate rich enough to bring me close to feeling ill. (Yes, that's a recommendation and a warning in one, folks).

*Lindt Excellence Chili Bar Dark chocolate with hints of red chili. Not a hot and spicy chocolate. This pick is good for someone who's a little adventurous but not too daring.

* Godvia Chocoiste Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Decadent, decadent, decadent. Good with champagne or a nice cup of tea.

* Botticelli Cashew Butter Truffle Christmas Tree. A nice alternative to peanut butter and chocolate. The cashew butter has a richer, lighter flavour and balances nicely with the milk chocolate.

* Henry & David Four-in-One Fruit Chocolates Sweet & chewy pieces of dried blueberries, bing cherries, strawberries and peaches. I will admit the pastel coloured coatings were a bit off-putting but not so much that it stopped me taking a taste or four or twelve.

* PC British Chocolate Biscuit Collection Hubby & I mowed through a box of these by ourselves in two days. This is not to say we have no self-control. This is to say that these biscuits are delicious.

*Merci Finest Selection in Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate My in-laws brought me a pack of these from Germany and now I see you can get them at Wal-Mart and Shoppers Drug Mart. These are nice as after-dinner chocolates with guests. Pieces are individually wrapped and the flavours are clearly marked. Also includes a marzipan chocolate which my friend Cat & I personally love, though we are told marizpan is an accquired taste.

* Toblerone Honey & Almond Nougat Common as dirt and oh so good. There's also a recipe for a delectable Toblerone Cheesecake floating around cyberspace. Use Google. ;)

* Cocoa Camino Fair Trade Chocolate Bars Smooth, creamy and delicious. The best Fair Trade chocolate ever. Cocoa Camino also makes a toothsome white chocolate slab that includes cocoa nibs. This is the only white chocolate I like to eat.

* Green & Black's Organic For something a little different try the Maya Gold or Ginger bars. The ginger is candied and crispy with just a little bite. The Maya Gold combines cinnamon and other spices to create a Mexican style chocolate.

* Lily O'Brien's Just try them all. I swear my entire second trimester weight gain was due entirely to Lily O'Brien's Sticky Toffees. Seriously addictive.

If you have any favourites you think I should take a look at please leave a comment or e-mail me. I'm always willing to expand this list to be a top 15... 20... 25.

No comments: